This week was again a four-day working week as Thursday was a public holiday due to Labour Day. The celebrations were in Park Maksimir, which is on the other side of the city - according to Google Maps some 6km from my home. The weather has not been very nice lately but fortunately on Thursday morning the sun was shining so I packed my backpack with some fruits and cookies for a picnic, took my bike and went to the park. On my way I also bought my first strawberries this spring.
I didn't see it, but apparently there was also a demonstration organized by the unions. I only saw people walking around with shirts saying 8+8+8 referring to the eight-hour day of workers - 8 hours of work, 8 hours of free time and 8 hours of sleep - which the minister for labour had recently questioned. The following day I read in the news that the president had also been in the park, but I didn't see him either. Instead I was lying on the grass, reading in my book and observing enjoying the strawberries I bought.
After some time a friend joined me, and we ended up staying in the park for a couple more hours until we heard thunder. We left the park to look for a place to eat. It was Labour Day so very understandable that everything, shops and restaurants, was closed. The only place open was McDonald's so we had to eat there. The prices were in line with those in Ljubljana and are nearly half of what I am used to in Finland. A Big Mac menu was something like 30 HRK which is around 4 €. However, ketchup was not included in the price, but we had to pay an extra of 0,25 € for one bag of it. Despite finishing with McDonald's it was a nice day, and I made it home before the thunderstorm started.
Waren dat Kroatische aardbeien?
ReplyDelete1 mei is dus in Kroatiƫ anders dan in Finland, waar tegenwoordig de nadruk meer ligt op activiteiten voor studenten....
Heb je dat gratis eten niet geprobeerd?!? Klinkt anders wel lekker: bonen en plakjes worst.
Geven de Kroatiƫrs de schuld van hun economische problemen aan de EU?