Wednesday, 28 May 2014

I hate the word "last"

The weekend which passed was my last weekend, yesterday I had for the last time dinner with my friends, today was the last day at the office. The 3-month internship has come to an end, and it has exceeded all of my expectations. It is not easy to leave, even though new challenges are waiting for me in Finland and I am sure I will see the people I have met here again whether in professional context or on private occasion. Regardless of the good memories of the time spend with my friends here, the overwhelmingly positive comments from my colleagues and the kind words from the partners I have worked with during my internship: Goodbyes are never easy!

As I knew the end was close, I tried to be as much in the moment and enjoy while I was still in Croatia. The weather has been absolutely amazing if you don't count the rain yesterday - or rain is an understatement. I had never seen the sky so dark or that so much water could come out of the sky at once, and then it was super windy that all sorts of stuff was flying though the sky. It is crazy how fast the weather changes here. Anyway, on Saturday and Sunday I was outside as much as possible because I'm afraid this summer I will be mostly inside an office. Saturday I met friends in the park and in the evening we went to the cinema. Sunday I spend reading my book in a cafe around the corner and lunch in a nearby pizzeria. There's nothing better than sun, a cup of tea and a good book!

I am glad the last days at the office had been nicely busy. I was the hostess to two visitors from Finland, and with them I attended meetings we had arranged for them. It was a pleasure to witness positivity, excitement and easiness to interact with one another even though the Finns had never been in any contact with the Croatian counterparts. I guess that's what it means to be a professional in one's own field. Today the embassy organized a seminar for Finnish and Croatian organizations working with railways one way or another. I am not familiar with the industry at all but it was interesting to see the setting of such an event and how the partners communicate with each other. The cook had made pie for the participants, which was delicious as always. The very last thing I did was attending yet another meeting with our guests, which was very informative for all parties involved. Between trying to remember all the steps in leaving from the job and the cute goodbye ceremony organized for me by my employer, I tried to brief the other personnel on the meetings I had these two days to ensure good continuity.

It sounds maybe a little bit contradictory but I've never laughed as much as I did during the goodbye dinner on Monday. We laughed ourselves to tears because our stories are insane and you better not ask anyone to repeat them. And as a matter of fact, it was not a goodbye but just "a going-away dinner" and a "break of being together" like my friends put it. Goodbyes are always sad, but they don't necessarily mean it is the last time we are together. I am already looking forward to the next time I will see all the people I met here, and I know that will be sooner than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment