Friday, 28 February 2014

First impressions of Zagreb

Flying over the Alps. 
For the first time (I think) I flew with Lufthansa, and the service was excellent. I got the morning paper, some nice snacks to eat and could choose to drink between tea/coffee, juices, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages. However, the best part was flying over the Alps - our planet has so beautiful places. But I also saw that there was not much snow on the tops. Strange winter there too, it seems.

When I arrived in Zagreb I was warmly welcomed by my landlord. She told me abut the buildings we saw on the way but I was super tired and don't remember half of her stories. She showed where the Embassy is and then drove me around the neighbourhood where I live to show the grocery stores (Lidl is 300m away), bakeries (several in my street close to where I live which means freshly made bread in the morning!), gym and a swimming hall. Then we went up to the apartment, which is very nice - I think I can easily live here three months!

My mission for today was to get a local SIM card. So after a short nap I left to explore the city and to try to find a place to get a local number. The location of the apartment is slightly outside the city center, and at least today it took me some 30 min to walk there. On my way I stopped at two places to ask about prepaid SIMs and at the third place the salesperson understood English. Now I have a local number but I use it in a non-smart phone. At least for now, let's see how long I will survive without constant access to internet.

I was super tired today, so I ended up just walking around. I prefer walking without a map, to get lost and find unexpected things. So in the end I walked a lot and was even more tired. Here are some pictures of what I saw today. More to come for sure!

Finally, some thoughts about the city. There are nice cars and people look well-dressed, very different from each other and a lot of young people. At the same time the buildings are not taken well care of, are covered with (ugly) graffiti and you can see people begging on the street. You can see a lot of contrast - the city has many stories to tell about which I want to know more.


The central square.


Sunset on my way home.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good place Marleen! and keep posting regularly so that we know whats happening in your life :-)

    ReplyDelete